Rivel has its own restaurant a 12 minute walk from the house, Le Moulin de l’Eveque - www.lemoulindeleveque.com.
Turn left out of the drive, stroll down the road and turn right towards Chalabre. The restaurant is set well back from the road on the left after around 300 metres.
It has a nice, sunny outside terrace, a safe play area for children, petanque pitch and mini golf. Normally open every lunchtime and evening in the summer . We’ve had many very nice meals there. Sunday lunch is very popular. Necessary to book a table on the terrace if the weather is nice.
Most of the surrounding villages have their own restaurants. This is just a small selection:
- Sainte Colombe sur l’Hers – less than 5 minutes drive away (or a pleasant walk either along the Voie Verte or over the hill between St. Colombe and Rivel) is Le Stop Pub Café (www.lestoppubcafe.fr )
- Chalabre - about 5 minutes drive away has the Hotel de France, the Stella Pizza and 2 bars that serve food.
- La Bastide sur l’Hers – less than 10 minutes drive is La Maison ( +33 5 61 03 85 43 ) on the left hand side as you enter the town.
- Puivert- about 15 minutes in the car has a good snack bar/restaurant La Buvette du Lac, overlooking the swimming lake, a lovely place to sit early evening. Also an Afghan /French restaurant, Le Pamir on the main road. There is the Le Refuge Gourmand on the right as you enter Puivert from Rivel, The summer night market on Wednesdays also has food stalls. There is a small Brasserie ( https://www.bdq.fr/ ) on the main road through the village producing local beers.
- Bélesta – 20 minutes has a hotel/restaurant Le Palais Cathare
- Mirepoix - 25 minutes has numerous restaurants, bars and cafes around the medieval centre.
- Camon - 15 minutes has 'Le Chateau de Camon'. For a special meal - www.chateaudecamon.com
- Lavelanet – Small town 20 minutes by car has lots of places to eat.
- Limoux – 30 minutes has many places to eat round the square in the centre and also scattered round the town.